Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley has declared a state of emergency in anticipation of the coming winter storm expected to begin sometime Wednesday evening and continuing until Thursday afternoon.
Based on current projections of between 5-10” of snowfall the City of Mount Rainier is declaring a snow emergency beginning at 6:00pm Wednesday evening. Residents are advised not to park on established snow emergency routes after 6:00pm tomorrow. Mount Rainier Police will ticket and tow vehicles parked on a snow emergency route once snow, sleet or other mixed precipitation begins to fall. Vehicles will be removed to a safe location off the snow emergency route. If your vehicle is towed, please call police communications at 301-985-6565/6566 for the location of your vehicle.
The following streets or portions of street within the city are hereby designated as snow emergency routes:
· 34th Street from Rhode Island Avenue to Arundel Road.
· Chillum Road from Arundel Road to the City boundary at Queens Chapel Road.
· Rainier Avenue from 34th Street to Upshur Street.
· Upshur Street from Rainier Avenue to 28th Place.
· 28th Place from Upshur Street to Russell Avenue.
· Russell Avenue from 28th Place to Arundel Road.
· Varnum Street from Russell Avenue to Eastern Avenue.
· Arundel Road from Russell Avenue to 34th Street.