Monday, July 06, 2009

Police Report: June 29-30

Monday June 29th:

4300 block of Russell Avenue: At about 12:30 am officers responded for a strong armed robbery. The victim told the officers that while he was walking home from work he was assaulted from behind by two black males, one wearing a red t-Shirt and the other wearing a white t-Shirt, and robbed of his personal property. The victim said that after the two took his property they fled on foot towards Eastern Avenue. Fire/rescue personnel responded to treat the victim for a minor head injury. Officers canvassed the area for the two suspects and any witnesses or evidence with negative results.

Tuesday June 30th:

3200 block of Taylor Street: At about 11 pm officers responded for the report of an attempted armed robbery. The victim told the officers that he was getting out of his vehicle when he was approached by an individual who placed a gun to his head and told him to get on the ground. The victim did not comply, and when he saw headlights coming in his direction he told the individual that the approaching headlights looked like a police car. Hearing this, the suspect immediately got into a waiting vehicle and fled the area. The victim described the suspect’s vehicle as a dark colored Jeep Cherokee.

3200 block of Taylor Street: While officers were taking the above attempted armed robbery report they were approached by a citizen who had found a cell phone and battery. When the officers checked the serial number of the phone they learned that it had been reported stolen from a victim in an armed robbery that occurred on Oglethorpe Street, N.E. in DC. Based on the recovery of the cell phone it is likely that the same individual or group of individuals is responsible for the attempted robbery that occurred here on Taylor Street.

3200 block of Queens Chapel Road (Caribbean Market): At about 10 pm officers responded for a commercial robbery that had just occurred. When the officers arrived the store owner told them that as he was trying to close the store for the day he noticed that there were three black males, all in their early twenties, still inside. One of the men blocked the door while the other two, one armed with a black semi-automatic handgun, confronted him and demanded money. When he told them that he didn’t have any money the armed man fired a shot into the ceiling and again demanded money. The man then struck the victim in the head with the gun and threatened to shoot him if he did not turn over the store’s cash. The victim then went into the back room and opened a safe from which the suspects stole a quantity of US currency. They also stole the victim’s wallet before fleeing the store. PGPD robbery detectives and a forensic services team responded top the store to conduct a follow-up investigation. The forensics team processed the scene and recovered several items of evidence.

No comments: